Complaints Policy & Procedure
Oakland Grange

1. Introduction

We always aim to provide a high standard of care in all our services. Our residents’ (and families) views are important to us and help to ensure our services are consistently meeting people’s needs. If you are unhappy with any of our services it is important that you let us know as soon as possible.

Feedback and compliments are of equal importance to complaints as these help us understand what we are doing well.

If a complaint alerts us to possible abuse or neglect we will tell the West Sussex Council’s Adult Safeguarding Team. The Safeguarding Team will advise us and decide how to investigate and monitor outcomes if appropriate.

2. Making a Suggestion

Often people feel more comfortable about suggesting improvements rather than complaining formally. Anyone receiving services, and their friends/ family, or working with us such an external professional may make a suggestion.

First you should speak to the Manager or the Care Coordinator.

Compliments, suggestions and complaints leaflets are available if you would rather raise a concern or make your suggestions that way.

If the suggestion is something that Oakland Grange as a company needs to consider you can send it to:

The Registered Manager
Oakland Grange
St Floras Road
West Sussex
BN17 6BB

Telephone: 01903 715995


3. Making a Complaint

We aim to handle complaints quickly, effectively and in a fair and honest way. We take all complaints seriously and use valuable information from investigating to help us improve the service we provide. We treat all complaints in confidence.

Oakland Grange assures residents and their families that it will not treat them unfairly or withdraw or reduce services because someone makes a complaint in good faith.

4. Who Can Complain

Anyone affected by the way Oakland Grange provides services can make a complaint.

A representative or advocate may complain for the affected person if they:

  • have died
  • cannot make a complaint themselves, or
  • have given consent for the representative to act on their behalf

If you are not happy about making a complaint yourself and you do not know someone who can talk or write to us on your behalf, we will be happy to find someone from an independent organisation to act as an advocate for you.

5. How You Can Make a Complaint

You can complain:

  • in person
  • by telephone
  • through a member of our staff or through an advocate or representative
  • where someone complains orally we will make a written record and provide a copy of it within 3 working days
  • by letter
  • by email

6. Anonymous Complaints

We deal with anonymous complaints under the same procedure; however it is better if you can provide contact details so we can tell you the outcome of our investigation. A record will be made of this type of complaint and kept on file

7. Responsibility

The Registered Manager has overall responsibility for dealing with all complaints made about their service. In certain instances this may be directed for the attention of the Chief Executive, who in turn may make a decision that there is someone more appropriate to manage the complaint and is independent of the concerns raised.

We will provide as far as is reasonably practical:

  • any help you need to understand the complaints procedure; or
  • advise on where you may get that help.
  • the procedure in a format which is easy to understand

8. How We Handle Complaints

The Registered Manager or Chief Executive may ask one of the management team to investigate the complaint. That person will have enough seniority and experience to deal with the issues raised by the complaint.

We will acknowledge a complaint within 3 working days and give you the name and contact details of the person investigating it.

We will ensure the person making the complaint is at the heart of the process and listened to with respect.

We will keep you informed about the progress of the investigation. We aim to have all complaints finished within 28 working days unless we agree a different time scale with you.

When we have finished investigating, we will arrange to meet with you and/or an advocate/ a family member to discuss the outcome, and following this write to you with:

  • details of the findings;
  • any action we have taken; and
  • our proposals to resolve your complaint.

9. Time Limits

You should complain as soon as you can after the date on which the event occurred or came to your notice. If you complain more than twelve months later, we may not be able to investigate thoroughly. However, we shall also consider whether you had good reason for not making the complaint sooner and whether, despite the delay, it is still possible to investigate the complaint effectively and fairly.

10. Further Steps

At any stage during the process, if you are not happy with the way the service is dealing with your complaint you can contact the Chief Executive at:

Oakland Grange
St Floras Road
West Sussex
BN17 6BB

Once we have dealt with your complaint, if you are not happy with the outcome you can refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) and ask for it to be reviewed. The LGO provides a free independent service.

You can contact the LGO at:

Tel: 0300 061 0614


NB: The LGO will not normally investigate a complaint until the provider has had an opportunity to respond and resolve matters.

Oakland Grange services are registered with and regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC cannot get involved in individual complaints about providers, but is happy to receive information about services at any time.

You can contact the CQC at:

Care Quality Commission National Correspondence
Newcastle upon Tyne

Tel: 03000 616161


To be read in conjunction with The Duty of Candour Policy